From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Engin Özkan
Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2011 10:44 PM
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Zhijie Li
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] off topic: Is deglycosylation necessary for crystallization?

On 4/8/11 1:43 PM, Zhijie Li wrote:
5. Finally, to my knowledge, proteins produced from insect cells are mainly high-mannose type (I never experimentally tested this though, just took this idea from some literature). This means: 1) the N-glycans from insect cells are likely susceptible to Endo H treatment, which is great; 2) the N-glycans are not charged; 3) the N-glcans themselves are more or less homogenous as they are likely to be Man3,4,5 only, and are also smaller than the complex type glycans made from mammalian cells. This is a bless for crystallization without deglycosylation.

Insect-made glycoproteins are still Endo H resistant. Commonly forgotten, they have (heterogeneous) core fucosylation at not only 6 but also 3 position of the innermost NAG.

Endo H resistance can be remedied by addition of certain mannosidase inhibitors to your culture. Yeast-made N-glycans are, on the other hand, high-mannose and theoretically Endo-H sensitive (I have no personal empirical evidence).

Engin