    Clearly there are strong feelings held by the advocates of the
several solutions to the problem of what to do about atoms that
cannot be reliably placed based on the electron density map.  I
certainly understand since I passionately support my own favorite
solution.

    Why is it that a community of generally reasonable people keep
coming back to this same issue and yet fail to find a solution
that can reach some kind of consensus?

    My 2 cents on this, more fundamental, issue:

    A model created by someone who believes that all atoms (for a
residue with any atoms) must be built will contain two kinds of
atoms.  Those placed based on the appearance of the electron
density and those placed in some convenient location simply to
fill out the atom count.  I think most everyone agrees that a
full residue is a convenience for some users of our models.  What
those of us who favor partial models want is an absolutely clear
distinction between the two classes of atoms.

    All this needs is a bit.  Literally, one bit of data that flags
those atoms added to the model simply to complete the set.

    Why can't we come to a solution that satisfies?  Because we
continue to use a non-extensible file format that does not allow
us a place to put this bit.

    Some people want to put the bit in the occupancy column by
defining a special value (occ=0) that would be the flag.  Some
people want to put it in the B factor column by defining a special
value there (a couple possibilities here, B=1000.00, B=500.00,
B varying but larger than that of any atom built into density).

    The B factor and occupancy columns in the PDB file have been
precisely defined back when the mmCIF dictionary was created and
to change their definitions now would require opening that process
again.  I am pretty sure that committee in charge will never allow
a definition for these items that includes the phrase "... except when
the value is equal too ...".  You can't run a database that way.

    Each piece of information has to have its own tag and definition.
Once it is defined we can embrace the task of educating software
developers and our collaborators who use our models in its meaning.

    There is just no place to put this bit in a PDB format file.
mmCIF - its trivial.  PDB format - no way.  As long as we insist that
this format is the preferred means of distributing our models we
will continue to return to this argument again and again with no
possibility of coming to a solution.

Dale Tronrud

P.S. I've even thought about using the model of the "REMARK" statement,
where all sorts of information have been added by the hack of
"standardized remarks".  I thought that one could create a
"standardized footnote" that would mark the atoms as "imaginary".
I found that, unfortunately, footnotes were removed from the PDB
format many years ago.