Hi,

we recently published a method that could be just what you need, and easy to implement.
It detects covalent modifications of cysteines, and mercury, gold and some platinums target cysteines...

have a look at this paper.
feel free to contact me if you want more information.
vincent

Fluorescence Detection of Heavy Atom Labeling (FD-HAL): A rapid method for identifying covalently modified cysteine residues by phasing atoms.

Chaptal V, Ujwal R, Nie Y, Watanabe A, Kwon S, Abramson J.

J Struct Biol. 2010 Feb 10.