LONDON GALLERY WEST IS DELIGHTED TO PRESENT

BROAD VISION
THE ART & SCIENCE OF LOOKING

3 – 15 MAY 2011

PHOTOGRAPHIC ARTS • IMAGING SCIENCE • ILLUSTRATION
LIFE SCIENCE • PSYCHOLOGY • COMPUTER SCIENCE

ZAINAB ASUNI • HEATHER BARNETT • URSULA BRANDES • BARBARA BROWN-VILLEDIEU
ANAND DAMODARAN • RAMON DE ASSIS FIGUEIREDO • JOSHUA DINSMORE
ABIGAIL DOE • SARA FARAJALLAH • MELLISSA FISHER • MARK GARDNER • UMA HIRANI
NATALIA JANULA • SAMI JORA • NINA JØRGENSEN • MARK J P KERRIGAN • FRANTZESKA KOLYDA
OLEG KURBATO • MOACIR LOPES • FIONA MARCHBANK • CHRISTINE MCCAULEY
HANNAH-SIAN MCGUINNESS • MAEVE MCMAHON • SUZIE PATRICK • LUKASZ PIECZATKA
KATIE RAYNER • JINESH REVAGAR • DEBBIE SEARS • ANJELEE TAMARA SHARMA
JOHN SMITH • AILISH SULLIVAN • SIMON VITANZA • THEO WHEALE

Eye, brain, hand; camera, computer, screen; looking, seeing, interpreting:
Welcome to Broad Vision. Does what we know influence how we look? Does
technology influence what we see? Do our roles determine how we interpret?
Thirty-three student and staff researchers from six disciplines across four
Schools at the University of Westminster have been investigating these
questions.

Broad Vision brings together researchers from the diverse disciplines of
Photographic Arts, Imaging Science, Illustration, Computer Science,
Psychology and Biomedical Science. Microscopy and imaging technologies are
utilised to explore themes of scale and abstraction, seeking and analysing,
science and art. Students with open eyes and open minds have been taking the
laboratory into the studio and the studio into the laboratory. Crossing
boundaries, engaging with different – but related – disciplines, forming
interdisciplinary project groups; by seeing through the eyes of others,
participants have developed ways of sharing, developing and communicating
their subject-specific knowledge in novel and exciting ways.

The final phase of Broad Vision is a gallery residency, during which the
process continues: scientific experiment meets creative process, culminating
with a multi-platform exhibition of artefacts from the experiments and
interactions, and documentation of the working processes. The exhibition is
accompanied by a programme of public workshops, talks and experiments.

OPENING TIMES:
9am – 5pm daily

SYMPOSIUM: LEARNING AT THE INTERSECTIONS
Thursday 5 May 2011, 2 – 5pm
Join the staff and student researchers to discuss the educational
perspectives of the project, and the opportunities and challenges of working
across disciplines. Free of charge – please contact the gallery to book.

PRIVATE VIEW:
Thursday 5 May 2011, 5 – 8pm

The University of Westminster is a charity and a company limited by guarantee. Registration number: 977818 England. Registered Office: 309 Regent Street, London W1B 2UW.