Dear All,

Here's one glimpse of Sophie's booklet...

Sophie Robinson's pamphlet from Oystercatcher, entitled simply Lotion, crackles with charged language. The work is kinked into delicious spasms by urgent sensuality, emotional intensity and an abstract painter’s delight in the qualities of the medium itself. Language dances under its own strobes to its own compelling new musics.

You could try reading the following poem aloud (but maybe not to a stranger):

Hunch and Shuffle

The modesty of caramel – burned, earthy

& smashed against my wanton mouth in stickled

smudges – make a meal of my gushing brains, take

my faith as fallen & my delicate curls

unshaven.  Pimp your pickles with my bluish

pelvis.  I crook myself upon you, dribbling

with an anorexic urgency, and I don’t see

your workload lightening beneath the crusted

halo of your charm, cowboy, so knuckle down.

This poem enacts a giving, an abandoning of the self which is both sexual and artistic, one of my favourite combinations. Cliches are undone, amongst other things, and the words get all perky and engorged in their exciting new company, not to mention their re-energised rhythmic locale.  Frank O’Hara on ice, on fire.

Keep an eye open for poems by Sophie Robinson. They goose your day.