Just to remind you that the website is open for submission of abstracts and registration.  For abstract submission it will then remain open for until the 15th April.  Registration can be done at anytime up to the day of the conference although we would like to encourage earlier registrations (more below).

Why should you come to the meeting in Cardiff?

* It is a joint meeting with the British Machine Vision Association (BMVA), which is the AVA's equivalent for computer vision researchers.  This offers several opportunities: you can find out if there are any new and interesting computer vision techniques that you can adopt; you can interest computer vision researchers in your research, which in today's world might mean valuable citations and "impact"; you might meet a potential co-applicant for a grant proposal.

* John Frisby will be kicking the day off for us ("Whatever happened to Marr? Reflections from writing the second edition of a textbook 30 years after the first edition (of Seeing, 1979).")

* We have invited two international keynote speakers: John Tsotsos from the Centre for Vision Research (CVR) at York University, Toronto, and Michele Rucci, from Boston University.  Both conduct research that combines biological and computer vision research.

* EPSRC will be in attendance so you have an opportunity to highlight the importance of the convergence of these two research areas as well as your great work.

* Also in attendance will be people from a selection of commercial companies (Sony, EADS etc).  So again, this will be an opportunity to impress and make contacts.

We want you to register early – we do not know how many people to expect given the joint nature of the meeting.  Getting the numbers wrong is expensive and causes difficulties.  Therefore we are introducing a financial incentive to encourage you to register early – less than two weeks before the conference there will be a £5 penalty.  Hopefully this is not enough to deter someone that genuinely does not have the opportunity to register until late, but enough to encourage people on tight budgets.

Please see the webpages for guidance on abstracts, registration and more detailed information.

http://psych.cf.ac.uk/ava_bmva/

That’s about it.  We think it’s going to be a great meeting and we look forward to seeing a good many of you in Cardiff at the end of May.

AVA/BMVA Biological and Computer Vision meeting organising committee

Simon Rushton (Cardiff University), Darren Cosker (University of Bath),
Tom Freeman (Cardiff University), Petroc Sumner (Cardiff University),
Paul Rosin (Cardiff University) and David Marshall (Cardiff University)

Contact:
[log in to unmask] (Human Vision and Local Queries)
[log in to unmask] (Computer Vision Queries)