*        http://www.anthropologymatters.com            *
* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.                *

RE-VISITING THE CONTACT ZONE: MUSEUMS, THEORY, PRACTICE
17-21 July 2011
Linköping, Sweden
Organized and funded by the European Science Foundation

Invited speakers will include:

Luca Basso Peressut, Politecnico di Milano, IT

Tony Bennett, University of Western Sydney, AU

Mary Bouquet, University College Utrecht, NL

Marta Lourenço, Science Museum, University of Lisbon, PT

Eithne Nightingale, Victoria and Albert Museum, UK

Anthony Shelton, University of British Columbia, CA

Museums form an important part of the cultural heritage of all European countries. As institutions, however, they have remained focused on the nation state for historical, political and often for financial reasons, but many of the issues museums face today transcend national boundaries. This international European Science Foundation funded conference seeks to provide a platform for exchange, reflecting on the new EU-wide interest in museums as spaces of cultural encounter that occupy a unique position at the junction between 'the local', 'the national' and 'the global'.

As the title of the conference suggests, we aim to review the concept of the ‘contact zone’ in the light of recent research, policy directions and museum practice, reflecting an increasingly globalized world.  The conference’s aim is to facilitate an interdisciplinary debate reflecting the museum’s potential as a meeting place for a wide range of academic subjects and non-academic participants.  Conference sessions will be organized around key sub-themes including:

•    The contact zone
•    Traditions
•    Spaces
•    Co-Production
•    Global Museums
•    Knowledge

We welcome papers and posters from researchers and from museum practitioners. If you are a practitioner and would prefer to not give a formal paper, then we also welcome applications to play the role of 'discussant' and respond to the ideas and arguments of other papers. Because we have a limited number of spaces available, it is especially helpful to us if applicants are open to various possible roles.

For further details of the conference and to apply please visit the ESF website:
www.esf.org/conferences/11365<http://www.esf.org/conferences/11365>

If you would like to play the role of discussant then simply include this in the box where the description of your paper is asked for. In the box which calls for lists of publications, we welcome accounts of your recent museum practice (exhibitions, learning programmes, community engagement). Please note that there is a limit on the number of spaces available for speaking at the conference and the ESF gives preference to more junior scholars and a spread of countries. For this reason, please also be sure to indicate whether you would also be willing to give a poster presentation or act as discussant.

The deadline for applications is 17 April 2011.

Jennie Morgan
School of Social Sciences
University of Manchester