From: Society for The Academic Study of Magic [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of emma wilby [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2011 11:42 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] Information on Sin Eaters

Hi Sabina,

I haven't read the book , but guess it may be something to do with the idea that a shaman (as represented in many contemporary anthropological sources) can heal by taking a person's sickness onto him/herself - and then either dispose of it or live through it (or even pass it on to someone else!). Shamans often literally 'suck' the sickness or bad spirits out of a person - or draw it out in some other way. I'm not aware of any direct evidence, however, linking such practices to Celtic shamans - although its not beyond the realms of possibility that IF they were part of Celtic shamanism they may have merged with Christian explanations for misfortune and morphed into sin-eating .....?

Best wishes,

Emma