From: "Magliocco, Sabina" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, 7 April, 2011 18:30:06
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] Information on Sin Eaters

Just curious: how is sin-eating presented as Celtic shamanism in this
publication? It seems to me that the whole idea of sin, and the rite to displace
it from the dying person to a designated sin-eater so the deceased can enter
Heaven, is heavily influenced by Christian concepts.  I'm not saying this is a
part of official, scripted Christian doctrine; it's clearly a part of venracular
religion.  But what's the Celtic part?

Best,
Sabina

Sabina Magliocco
Professor
Department of Anthropology
California State University - Northridge