This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message. ---------------

Hello everyone

I’ve received the enquiry below and I have to say that, although we do have a coal hole cover, it has been detached from it’s coal hole and any original fixings lost so I have no idea of the answer.  Does anyone have any advice that I can pass on?

Thanks

George

Subject: Request for information about coal hole covers

Hi,

   I saw on the Museum website that you have an example of a coal hole cover. We have a damaged coal hole cover and I'm hoping you can help me. I can't see any obvious way to open it and we can't get to the underside of ours to investigate it. How do the original covers open? I'm assuming that they must open from above, is this correct? As a rule, do they unscrew or pull out? Any information you can give me about this would be much appreciated, as we are looking to replace the existing cover with an iron one. The current cover is both glass and iron and it's the glass which has broken and it's now causing a hazard.

Thanks for your help,

Liz Atkins

For up to the minute local information follow us on http://twitter.com/yourcroydon

Your new customer service promise from Croydon www.croydon.gov.uk/proudtoserve

Please use this web site address to view the Council's E-Mail disclaimer -
www.croydon.gov.uk/disclaimer/email.htm
The SHCG list is provided for members of Social History Curators Group to discuss subjects relevant to social history in museums. To join SHCG visit www.shcg.org.uk . Opinions expressed in this email are the responsibility of the author and are not necessarily shared by SHCG. To leave the list do not reply to this message but send an email to [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and these words as the body of the email: SIGNOFF SHCG-LIST