This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message. ---------------

Dear all,

We have had a tea brick brought into the museum by a lady who would like a bit more information about it. She has told us that it was brought back from Shanghai in the late 1920s.

I have attached images of the tea brick. Would anybody be able to let me know when they think it might date from? I know that they were used as currency, but could this perhaps be a later version made as a souvenir rather than currency? Any other information about tea bricks and their use would also be very helpful.

Thank you for your help.

Nicola

Nicola Dyke

Exhibitions and Collections Assistant (Social History)

Harrogate Museums and Arts

The Mercer Art Gallery

Swan Road

Harrogate

North Yorkshire

HG1 2SA

Tel: 01423 556188

Fax: 01423 556130

Email: [log in to unmask]

Exhibitions at Harrogate Museums & Arts

Royal Pump Room Museum
"Egyptology: Science Investigation" - discover some of our Ancient Egyptian treasures.  See how science is helping us learn more about our Ancient Egyptian objects.
Time for Tea: an exhibition exploring the history of our national drink. Until 20 March 2011

The Mercer Art Gallery is closed for refurbishment from 16 January 2011 and reopens on 16 April 2011 with the exhibitions  ATKINSON GRIMSHAW: PAINTER OF MOONLIGHT and LIZA DRACUP: CHASING THE GLOAMING, Photographs inspired by Grimshaw's Paintings until 4 September 2011

Please ring or visit our website for further details of our varied children's & adult's activities programme.

This email and any attachments may contain information that is confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the named recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, storing, copying or disclosing this email is prohibited and may be unlawful. Please delete it.

Any opinions are those of the author and not necessarily those of the Council.

No Officer is authorised to make a contract on the Council's behalf by email.

The recipient is responsible for virus checking this email and any attachments.

The Council does not accept service of legal documents by email.

Scanned by
MailMarshal

The SHCG list is provided for members of Social History Curators Group to discuss subjects relevant to social history in museums. To join SHCG visit www.shcg.org.uk . Opinions expressed in this email are the responsibility of the author and are not necessarily shared by SHCG. To leave the list do not reply to this message but send an email to [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and these words as the body of the email: SIGNOFF SHCG-LIST