Sheryl,

I can't say without reference material, but I would be looking at
macropods. From memory, some macropod phalanges have that twist, so that
the planes across the proximal and distal ends are not parallel - as
they are with sheep, for instance.

You are cryptic about dates. What is the problem? That the site is older
than the introduction of macropods into NZ?

Richard