Testbed Support for GridPP member institutes [mailto:TB-
> [log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ewan MacMahon said:
> These are RPMs. This is what package managers do; you upgrade from foo-
> 1.0
> to foo-2.0 and it removes all the old foo-1.0 files and installs the
> new
> foo-2.0 files. And it runs pre- and post- install scripts to fix up any
> oddities.

But in this case you also have yaim creating or changing things after installation, plus any customisation added by the admin. (Of course yaim itself also has to change in lots of ways to accommodate this.)

> The other option if that can't be managed is "don't do that then"

That's no longer an option, it was decided a year ago when EMI started.

> Or we could do something less breakage prone and more incrementalist?

Except that EMI is a new project, and as always decided to stamp its mark on everything by restructuring it.

Stephen