From: [log in to unmask] [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Masaki C. Matsumoto [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 12 March 2011 04:55
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [QSTUDY-L] [Urgent] What are the needs of LGBTQs when earthquakes      hit?

Dear list,

As you may have probably heard, the world 7th biggest earthquake (M8.8) hit Miyagi, Japan, and there have been a few more quakes with other cities in the northern regions as well (all of them above M5.0). The number of deaths and people missing has been increasing rapidly. Japan has a number of nuclear power plants and people are in great fear.

As a queer Japanese who has lots of friends and family in Japan, I am concerned about LGBTQs affected by the disaster and their life that follows it, just as much as I’m concerned about the immediate danger that is still taking place right now (the country is still experiencing minor quakes). To most people, the immediate devastation seems to be the biggest problem that has to be solved. But to those who are directly affected by the disaster, the next few months (and even more) will become part of their life routine and evacuation centers will be their homes for a long time.

My friends and I, equally upset and concerned about immediate physical dangers and the lives of marginalized populations for the following months, are compiling a document detailing the specific needs of LGBTQs in midst of natural disasters like this. The document will be sent to help organizations, accommodation facilities, rescue teams, and volunteers.

http://greatdvc.wordpress.com/2011/03/11/lgbtq_quake/

But we have yet to put together an exhaustive, comprehensive list of queer needs. We need your input. Some of you may be survivors of natural disasters, or friends/families of those people. We want you to share the experiences as an LGBTQ person who survived natural disasters. You may have no such experience whatsoever. But you can still imagine what it will be like if a natural disaster hits and you’ll have to live in an evacuation center for the next, say, 6 months. What concerns will you have?

We need your input! Please leave a comment on the blog http://greatdvc.wordpress.com/2011/03/11/lgbtq_quake/ or shoot me an email at [log in to unmask] You can also tweet using the hashtag, #lgbtq_quake. The deadline is 6PM, Tuesday, March 15, 2011.

The final write-up will be ready by Wednesday morning and sent to help organizations, accommodation facilities, rescue teams and volunteer individuals. Anything that doesn’t go into the one-page document, will be included in a longer version that’s going to be available for viewing online. The URL will be added to the bottom of the document.
*After the document has been sent, I will write an English translation so that anyone around the world can use the resource.