We are seeking a highly motivated and talented postdoctoral fellow to work in the Advanced Pediatric Brain Imaging Research Laboratory in Diagnostic Imaging & Radiology, and Fetal & Transitional Medicine, at Children’s National Medical Center, George Washington University.

The goal of our research program is to study brain development in the healthy and compromised fetus. The recent successful application of high-image reconstruction algorithms using fetal MRI has the potential for opening major windows in our understanding of normal fetal brain development, and on the timing of insults that disrupt normal developmental processes.

The research project will focus on image analysis of in vivo second and third trimester brain MR images of healthy and high-risk fetuses. Specifically, the project will include developing improved approaches to eliminate motion, optimize MR image resolution, and automate brain tissue segmentation methods to detect impaired brain growth. Candidates must have a PhD in biomedical engineering, or computer science. A strong background in neuroimaging is required.

The position is funded by the Advanced Pediatric Brian Imaging Laboratory at Children’s Nation for one year, renewable for a second year, and will begin over the summer of 2011. Candidates should submit a CV, list 2 references, and provide a brief statement of research interests, by email to Dr. Limperopoulos.

Applications or informal inquires should be addressed to Catherine Limperopoulos, PhD ([log in to unmask]).

Catherine Limperopoulos, PhD
Director, MRI Research of the Developing Brain
Director, Advanced Pediatric Brain Imaging Research Laboratory
Diagnostic Imaging and Radiology/Fetal and Transitional Medicine
Children’s National Medical Center
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
111 Michigan Ave. N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20010
Email: [log in to unmask]