Dear Soyoung,

Using the psychological main effect to identity the seed region will not produce invalid
results but may be very inefficient.

As you rightly indicate; this selection renders the main effect of the physiological
response correlated with the main psychological effect (and implicitly their
interaction).  This means that the regressors, which must include both main
effects and the (PPI) interaction will explain each other; and any test for one will
be much less significant than in a more orthogonal design matrix.

The usual procedure is to identify the seed region using an orthogonal psychological
contrast so that the physiological activity in the seed region can interact with the (A>B)
psychological effect to explain the activity in regions showing an interaction. Clearly,
this requires a factorial design with at least two factors (one to form the psychological
effect and one to identify the seed region), which you may or may not have.

I hope this helps,

With very best wishes,

Karl