Dear Rik and Christoph,

In response to the question whether you could use 2 event-related regressions as direct(G) and modulatory(H) inputs respectively: I think this is perfectly fine. It would allow you to model  H-dependent effective connectivity from an area driven by G on a second area.

The effects of the modulatory (B) inputs are simply additive to the fixed/endogenous connectivity, and there are no constraints for any durations for B.

For example, suppose you have two regions, x1 and x2, and condition G is the direct input to x1, while H is the modulatory on x1 --> x2. This would test for an H-dependent influence of x1-->x2, where x1 is only active when G is present. (assuming positive input parameter estimates).

best,
Hanneke

4. If the GLM in an SPM.mat file has two event-related regressors for conditions G and H (and a jittered SOA so that responses vs the inter-event baseline are estimated efficiently):

4.1 does it make sense to use one of these as a driving input (eg, to both of two regions, eg, DCM.c = [1 0; 1 0]) and the other as a modulatory input (eg, DCM.b(:,:,1) = zeros(2,2); DCM.b(:,:,2) = [0 1; 1 0])?
An event-type modulatory input would only modulate the intrinsic connectivity for a very brief instant, while neuronal activity lasts much longer. Mathematically it is ok but I don't think it makes much sense.
I would be happy to hear Klaas (or other experts) opinion about this.

--
Hanneke den Ouden, PhD

Donders Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging
PO Box 9101,  6500 HB Nijmegen
The Netherlands
Tel: +31 (0)24 36 11757
Fax: +31 (0)24 36 10989