If you want to address a direct comparison, individual group results cannot be generalized to a between group comparison. That is to say, if you find a significant effect in one group and not in the other, you still cannot say that that shows one group is greater than the other, you need to do a direct comparison.

Something else to consider, if there are anatomical differences associated with your patient population it may not be valid to do a whole-brain comparison using standard MNI normalization. to get around this you can either create a common template to normalize to, or do a functional ROI based analysis.

To compare groups, you can use an unpaired (2-sample) t-test. However, that is assuming that data from each group is normal. Otherwise, you can use something like a permutation test or other non-parametric test.

hope this helps...

Cheers,
Michael