Susceptibility issue is also a major problem of anterior temporal lobe (due to ear channels).
The signal drops there dramatically (it might be a drop of  80-90%). People invent different protocols and scan sequences to overcome those issues. Here, for example, a paper which explains nicely the options:
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0008160

Other than that, there is a defaults.mask.thresh parameter in spm_defaults.m which defines a threshold for the SPM mask. In SPM 5 this value is set to 0.8. As far as I understand, this means that any voxel with signal value bellow 80% of global brain average signal would not be included in the 1-st level analyze mask. My experience is that lowering this mask to let's say 0.5 does not helps too much though a little more voxels indeed are included in the analyze.