----- Original Message -----
From: Giulio Pergola <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, March 7, 2011 21:13
Subject: [SPM] Modelling time derivative
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi SPMers,

In my experiment I have a set of 3 conditions within a task which consistently show less signal then the corresponding 3 conditions in another task, even though the number of events is comparable.
I thought to include in the model the time and dispersion derivatives, to test whether the tasks peak and different delays and so explain the discrepancy.
However, I am stuck after 1st model estimation.
In my canonical analysis I defined several 1st level t-contrasts by comparing activation in all 6 conditions against a baseline task. Then in the 2nd level I computed paired t-tests and ANOVAs across conditions.
I have tried (as indicated below) to do something similar by using F-tests in the 1st level, like:

[condition deriv_1 deriv_2 baseline deriv_1 deriv 2]

[1 0 0 -1 0 0; 0 1 0 0 -1 0 ; 0 0 1 0 0 -1]

However the signal I get is negligible at the first level. Further, I am not sure about then taking the f-contrasts and do t-tests in the second level, it looks weird to interpret.
What is the correct way to do this?

thanks a lot,
Giulio Pergola

Inst. of Cognitive Neuroscience, Department of Neuropsychology
Ruhr-University Bochum GAFO 05/611
Universitätsstraße 150, 44801 Bochum, Germany
Phone: +49-234-3223175
Fax: +49-234-3214622