Dear Richard

I actually but the subject of my previous response was a reply to spm digest, sorry for that. Here comes my response once more:

If you scan a gel phantom you will be convinced that there is low frequency drift coming from the  scanner it self. This is due to a lot of things but probably mainly due to heating induced by mechanical vibrations. I would pick the cut-off frequency based on your particular scanner, (most recent scanners that I have seen have little non-white noise faster than the default 128s period used in SPM). Regarding aliasing of cardiac and respiratory noise it is in no way guaranteed to end up at low frequencies. In fact for typical heart and respiration rates and TR values around 2s the variation i e.g. heart rate is so large that there will be cardiac noise at all frequencies, not just the low ones.

you can read more here:

Foerster BU, Tomasi D, Caparelli EC. Magnetic field shift due to mechanical
vibration in functional magnetic resonance imaging. Magn Reson Med. 2005
Nov;54(5):1261-7. PubMed PMID: 16215962; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2408718.

Lund TE, Madsen KH, Sidaros K, Luo WL, Nichols TE. Non-white noise in fMRI:
does modelling have an impact? Neuroimage. 2006 Jan 1;29(1):54-66. Epub 2005 Aug
11. PubMed PMID: 16099175.

Smith AM, Lewis BK, Ruttimann UE, Ye FQ, Sinnwell TM, Yang Y, Duyn JH, Frank
JA. Investigation of low frequency drift in fMRI signal. Neuroimage. 1999
May;9(5):526-33. PubMed PMID: 10329292.

https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=SPM;651c37f7.00

Best
Torben

Torben Ellegaard Lund
Associate Professor, PhD
The Danish National Research Foundation's Center of Functionally Integrative Neuroscience (CFIN)
Aarhus University
Aarhus University Hospital
Building 10G, 5th floor, room 31
Noerrebrogade 44