Dear SPMers,
We are having a problem converting fif files that contain "false" EEG
channels.  Essentially, a few paradigms on the MEG acquisition computer are
set to record EEG+MEG, but we do not always acquire the EEG because of
time/subject/etc limitations.  With these files, the EEG channels are
sampled all same and included in the raw fif file, but the values are just
noise.  When we convert these using SPM8 (with MNE 2.7.0 toolbox), all
appears well regardless of whether we import all the channels (stimulus,
EEG, MEG) or just the MEG channels.  However, there seems to be some sort of
EEG flag that becomes embedded in the parameters file and creates problems
later on.  For example, in the case where we import all channels, we can
declare all non-MEG channels as "Other" and then save in the "prepare" menu.
However, once it is time to calculate a forward model, the 3D source
localization gui still cues for an EEG model.  If we select the BEM option
and single shell (MEG), then we get the 'no good EEG channels' error message
on the inversion - even though the gui reflects only MEG channels as
available for this inversion.  The same scenario happens when we import only
the MEG channels during the conversion from fif.  Furthermore, in the
MEG-only import case, all the options for adjusting EEG electrodes remain in
the "prepare" menus, which is not the case in true MEG only fiff files.

In fif files without false EEG, we do not have any of these issues.

I have searched the archives pretty well and have not seen a similar
problem. We have seen this on Win-64 and CentOS 32-bit machines (both
running current SPM8).  Any thoughts on a fix for the false EEG files?

Thanks in advance,

Tony Wilson