This sounds very conservative to me, like all Bonferroni corrections (see
the FIL's slides on random field theory, etc)......imagine you have a
cluster which has a 0.0125 uncorrected p-value. In a small volume
correction that uses this correction method, your cluster will have to
include at least 1/4 of the voxels in your search region to remain below a
p-value of 0.05 FWE-corrected.RFT isn't this conservative (again see
abovementioned slides for the reasons)

Whether it is 'safe' or not depends on your VOI. In fact this doesn't matter
whether you use the RFT based correction or a Bonferroni correction. If
you use a very small VOI for a small volume correction, you are much more
likely to have a voxel or cluster which survives correction, because you are
overly constraining that correction and cheating the multiple comparison
problem.