I always think of Ralegh in prison in his 60s fitting in the history of the world before Time shut up the story of his dayes...

Elizabeth

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 7:47 AM, Germaine Warkentin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I'm doing a paper for the "Old Age and Creativity" conference here next week. Mine is on Petrarch and "late style". Can anyone suggest names of poets and other writers of acknowledged achievement in the period 1300-1700 who remained creative in old age -- for this period, that would be "over sixty". When I search my brain I come up with painters, not poets, Titian being the obvious example -- it took the plague of 1576 to finally finish him off at the age of somewhere around 88, still painting energetically. Suggestions gratefully received! Germaine
Germaine Warkentin // English (Emeritus), University of Toronto
http://www.individual.utoronto.ca/germainew/

"May you be given bread and beer"
	-- Ancient Egyptian Prayer for the Dead

Elizabeth Harris Sagaser