David,  I'm crushed to hear this sad news.  Marshall was, exactly as you
say, brilliant, witty, deeply and intensely thoughtful.  He could be fun,
too. A year ago at just this time, he was raising a martini glass in company
with some of us at the SAA.  I can hardly imagine his passing.  I'll miss
him very much, and I join you in sorrow and reflection.

Judith

Judith H. Anderson

Chancellor's Professor

Department of English