From: Chris Kershaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 6:32 PM
Subject: National Statistician's Review of Crime Statistics
To: Social Statistics <[log in to unmask]>

I have been asked by the RSS Social Statistics Section Committee to draw
attention of list members to the opportunity to contribute to an important
review of crime statistics currently being undertaken by the National
Statistician, Jil Matheson.

The National Statistician has launched a web based invitation to comment on
how crime statistics should be compiled in future. Anyone with an interest
in crime statistics is invited to feed in their views, which will help shape
the recommendations from the independent review of crime statistics she is
currently conducting.

The  Home  Secretary has invited the National Statistician to conduct an
independent review of crime statistics with the aim of increasing public
confidence  in these statistics. The Home Secretary has decided that the
publication  of  crime statistics should be moved out of the Home Office to
promote greater trust and demonstrate their independence.

The review aims to:

consider gaps, discrepancies and discontinuities within crime statistics;

recommend the best future location for the publication of crime statistics,
and their associated data collection systems;

and, produce an action plan for the implementation of recommendations from
the UK Statistics Authority’s report *Overcoming Barriers to Trust in Crime
Statistics: England and Wales* published in May 2010.

The  open  'invitation to comment' period closes at midnight on *10 March
2011*.

The  review  is  due  to  report  at  the  end of April 2011. It is then
intended  to  run  a public consultation on the recommendations from the
review. If  you  are  interested  in commenting on the review please follow
this link

http://www.statisticsauthority.gov.uk/national-statistician/ns-reports--reviews-and-guidance/national-statistician-s-reviews/national-statistician-s-review-of-crime-statistics.html

*Chris Kershaw
Sent on behalf of the RSS Social Statistics Committee

*

Please note that if you press the 'Reply' button your
message will go only to the sender of this message.
If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's
'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically
to [log in to unmask]
Disclaimer: The messages sent to this list are the views of the sender and cannot be assumed to be representative of the range of views held by subscribers to the Radical Statistics Group. To find out more about Radical Statistics and its aims and activities and read current and past issues of our newsletter you are invited to visit our web site www.radstats.org.uk.