It is probably evil of me, and may well get slapped down by my customer, who
must remain nameless, but in working up these "pilot" internal REFs, I am
adding "engagement" where it does not exist.

The daft bit is that one of the drafts is for a group that I know is active
within its own community - at trade shows conferences and exhibitions - but
they somehow forgot to mention it.

As someone else has kindly pointed out in a private message, a part of the
problem is that the academics who write these things aren't the people who
do all the knowledge transfer and engagement stuff. So they stick to their
own narrow furrows.

The message for your meeting might be that the people who write the REFs
should be encouraged to look outside their silos for help in drafting their
documents. I doubt very much of they will all have an ornery editor
attacking their words.

Your first task might be to come up with your own list of things that might
apply. And that would go beyond the stuff that usually comes up here.
Industry trade shows, for example. Some university groups put on a good show
at the Technology Strategy Boards annual tech event. That should get them
some recognition.

MK