I was going to say something along these lines, too, Millicent, although I was just going to suggest providing some historical context for such a phrase (I keep thinking of wanting to bowdlerize Huckleberry Finn, when it is so an anti-slavery etc novel).

Anyway, Max: I'd leave it in but explain, I think.

Doug
On 2011-03-30, at 8:34 PM, Millicent Borges Accardi wrote:

> Hi Max,
>
> It's the holy grail not to change words!!!
>
> :)
>
> I would not change any author's work. That said,  I love teaching "Skunk Hour,"  A few well-placed "hints" about what lines mean, background information and preliminary prep should take away any surprise or giggles or fixation over the term "fairy"  There is a great recording of Lowell reading it--which I use, I believe it is available at
>
> http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15279
>
> Perhaps your wife could do a little preliminary history of the poem and lines, read it herself and then have them listen to the poet read it? I am always amazed by the nuances that appear when a writer reads his own work. I think it would be an amazing poem for a psychotherapy class. So much to analyze.
>

> Millicent
>

> Help me get to 200 "likes" by Tax Day. Click here to "like" my Facebook page. Thanks!

Douglas Barbour

http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/
http://eclecticruckus.wordpress.com/

Latest books:
Continuations (with Sheila E Murphy)
http://www.uap.ualberta.ca/UAP.asp?LID=41&bookID=664
Wednesdays'
http://abovegroundpress.blogspot.com/2008/03/new-from-aboveground-press_10.html

Just a late night pilgrim
Looking for redemption in the underground.
Lord, won't you help a late night pilgrim
When the morning comes around.

 		Tift Merritt