From: Poetryetc: poetry and poetics [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Barry Alpert
Sent: 18 March 2011 14:37
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Snap That Maverick Composer

Patrick,

As a former architect, you might be intrigued by Henry Brant's blueprint for
the positioning of the 3 orchestras performing and his aesthetic statements
which appear on the screen while you listen to "Trinity of Spheres".  I wish
more youtube videos provided such pertinent material.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcCEbzZFzdk&feature=related

Barry

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 18:03:12 -0000, Patrick McManus
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Thanks Wow just heard part of 'Orbits' like a storm thrashing - gosh those
flashlight are a bit bof a pain

Behalf Of Barry Alpert
>Sent: 17 March 2011 16:38
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Snap That Maverick Composer
>
>I've heard of Brant for years, Hal, but have never had a chance to witness
a concert of his works.  Have been listening to his compositions via youtube
this morning and would like to experience the spatial positioning in person.
I wrote about Lou Harrison on this occasion because the "confluence"
articulated by the Post-Classical Ensemble was available to me without major
difficulty or expense, and I had been introduced to his music many years ago
by two young composers who had studied with LH, Peter Garland and Paul
Dresher.

>Thanks, Doug & Hal, for assuring me that what I wrote was presentable.  I
wonder when I revise as much as I did on this occasion.

<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>Despite the difficulties, well caught, Barry. And the explanation, as Hal
says: fascinating.

>>I have Seven Pastorales out from the library right now, & have the Elegiac
Symphony, but clearly need to track down the Piano Concerto.

>>Doug
>>

>>On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 08:21:46 -0600, Halvard Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>>Fascinating, Barry. Thanks.
>>
>>Hal
>>

>>On 2011-03-16, at 7:48 AM, Barry Alpert wrote:
>
>TREAT LOU HARRISON
>

>Built myself a paper world.
>Exquisite corpses with Cage & Cunningham.
>Read Harry Partch's book (gift of Virgil Thomson).
>
>Contact made more intimately within sound sources.
>Made love with drones in serial music.
>Said Cage, "Math of the straight and narrow path".
>
>Building a cathedral and shipping it to outer space.
>Kinetically filled.
>Please enter.  No dog inside.
>
>Large and rambunctious expansion--
>mountains here and hear,
>"See what you can make of . . . " [Navaho chants instead]:
>
>Here holiness with innumerable crystalline cells /
>airplant Spanish moss asway . . .
>

>Barry Alpert / Silver Spring MD US / 3-16-11 (9:46 AM)
>
>I initially approached the major "American Maverick" composer Lou Harrison
by snapping a sequence of 10 Kodak instant photos of him, John Cage, and
their patron Betty Freeman relaxing on the grounds of a music festival.
Thirty four years passed before I was lucky enough to be within geographical
range of the tripartite SUBLIME CONFLUENCE:  THE MUSIC OF LOU HARRISON.

>http://post-classicalensemble.org/lou-harrison/
>
>After witnessing the useful documentary film, I decided to await additional
language which might surface during the two subsequent programs.  Overall, a
difficult and elongated writing process.  I expect a more fluid experience
when I work with an audio interview which I've just now discovered.

>Let me recommend a very strong work by Lou Harrison, his Piano Concerto
(1985) in a version featuring Keith Jarrett, for whom it was originally
composed on commission: