Don,

At Linköping University, in Erik Hollnagels old group (whom you may know, he is emeritus in our lab), we have started looking at ways to integrate design and Cognitive Systems Engineering. An example of that is the paper by Amy Rankin, Johan Blomqvist, Daniel Anundi and Stefan Holmlid at DRS where they try to integrate "Barrier Analysis" (as in barriers to prevent accidents) with service design in home health care. One of their conclusions was that it was all but straight forward, but the safety perspective was beneficial to the design effort.

We are also using design techniques in development of simulators for crisis management at airports.

Jonas Lundberg who is affiliated to us, but at another department, has recently been writing papers about the design work that accident investigators perform.

My point is that safety science and design don't exist in isolation and that a mutual exchange can be beneficial. I do however agree with you that some humility is needed in design. We even included humility in our competency framework for a master in design.

Cheers,
// Mattias
--
Mattias Arvola, Ph.D. in Cognitive Systems.
Co-ordinator for the Undergraduate Programme in Cognitive Science.