"The knowledge and understanding of the young applicant is built upon either
> their secondary school curriculum, or the advice of their teachers. Both of
> these sources are normally hopelessly out of touch with current thinking..."

In the early 80s, I suggested that orientation towards a future a career
would start even much earlier, at kindergarden level...I had sketched out a
"training" concept, starting at pre-school up to University level. Toddlers,
children and adolescents would learn how to 'rationally' select objects for
their daily use; thus, towards eventually  becoming, through higher level
training, professionals selecting (in generic sense) artifacts for others,
i.e. designers.

The concept was however immediately 'nipped in the bud' by 'silo
dwellers'...

Francois
Montreal