Mike,
We've offered a transdisciplinary 'thinking and making' design program at
the University of Texas at Austin since the early 1990s, and we are in the
midst of re-evaluating and updating our approach to design education. Our
faculty have backgrounds in graphic design, typography, photography, product
design, political science, design criticism and architecture. Instead of
courses called Graphic Design 101, we offer topic-driven classes such as
Design Systems, Design and the Social Environment, and Design Theory and
Method each taught through the particular focus of that faculty with the
intent that the fundamental design skills learned can be applied in a
variety of situations outside the bounds of any particular discipline. This
places emphasis on design as a way of thinking and as a tool that can be
applied to a broad range of contemporary issues which is perhaps equivalent
to recent 'Design and...' programs.  A capstone senior project allows
students to operate across disciplinary boundaries and to choose the form of
a final product that is most appropriate to the situation they are trying to
'make sense of.'

At the moment, amongst other options, we are exploring ways to make
stronger institutional connections to disciplines outside of our own
design disciplines (computer science, business, engineering, etc.) to become
more truly interdisciplinary and to take fuller advantage of being at a
large research university.

More detail can be found on our web site:
http://www.finearts.utexas.edu/aah/design/featured_story.cfm
http://www.finearts.utexas.edu/aah/design/index.cfm

Riley Triggs
Design Lecturer