Frank
I don't think it would strengthen our position, we currently do sick absence management and Management referrals, if we take on the role of Practice Nurse/First Aider we will be back to where we started in the 70's and no doubt you are too young to remember that - I know you are! But honestly it has taken three decades for Occupational Health to be where it is from the old 'Industrial Nurse' who doled out aspirin and cough medicine and bandaged cut fingers. I doubt anyhow if we soul find the time for to do this, I know that where I have worked I wouldn't.
Regards

Celia