Thank Gary -
This is an amazing project - transferring digital video onto
microfiche. The work really takes on board the notion that innovation
lies in learning to use the technology we already have.

Here's the text from the website:

"Babel Fiche is a crowd-sourced film that collects and remixes amateur
video footage. During 2011 we are gathering and selecting contemporary
clips which describe everyday life around the Earth. These movie
fragments will be printed on colour microfiche – a photographic medium
capable of lasting 500 years and simply requiring light and a lens to
expand its contents. This analogue throwback might even outlast our
current reliance on fragile digital storage.

Babel Fiche is an imaginary media for future anthropologists. It asks
which behaviours, objects, traditions and conflicts we want to
communicate to a future world. Today’s human cultures, physique and
technology will inevitably develop out of all recognition. So how
might a future species translate our current times?"

I also love the Steampunk aspect of this work - sliding between
time-zones - and wonder if those goggled fashionistas might yet be
empowered by reverse engineering?

Best,
Ele

--