Thanks for the post Mat. So many issues to address...

I don't want to go into the debate concerning the relationship between
mainstream contemporary art and new media practice other than to observe
that artists can choose their domain in order to actively seek disconnects.
Their motivations can be highly varied but there will always be those who,
when they see their domain becoming mainstream, choose to move on before the
crowd arrives.

The lab-life activity you mention sounds very interesting. I assume you have
read Latour, Biagioli, Ingold and others on lab culture and will be aware
that there are many initiatives around the world, over the past few decades,
where artists have been able to work in lab environments for extended
periods, sometimes for years. Some of these activities have been studied and
written up.

Is your lab independent or is it part of a larger infrastructure? If it is
independent I would be curious to know how you sustain its activities. If it
is part of a larger organisation I would be equally interested to know how
you justify its existence to those who hold the purse strings.

What activities do you undertake in the lab? Do you work with scientists (of
various disciplines) or are you seeking to appropriate lab methods to
artistic activities? Or do you see the lab as something distinct from
scientific practices?

The crowd-sourcing dimension of what you are discussing is also of interest,
particularly as we are undertaking a research project that is looking at
some closely related areas (www.elmcip.net). I am sure you are aware of how
Furtherfield are setting up their activities as an open lab or studio,
extending from real space into network space. Are there connections with
your initiative or is what you are doing quite different?

Best

Simon

Simon Biggs
http://www.littlepig.org.uk/