Hi there

I was wondering how other Job Shops go about obtaining feedback from
employers to find out whether any or how many students applied for jobs
advertised, and if they were successful.

Six weeks after the closing date of applications we try and contact
employers to find out this information but with a limited response.
Some employers say they don't know because at interview or in
applications it is not relevant to them to know if applicants are
students and which university they are from.  Others say they can't say
due to confidentiality whilst the most just say they have no idea.
Whether this is because we get through to the Human Resources Dept
rather than managers, but I don't know that managers would know either?
In a small minority of phone calls people have actually been rather
rude.

I have difficulties explaining these problems to the powers that be who
don't understand why this information cannot be provided.

It has been suggested that if employers don't provide the details we
require then we should not advertise their jobs.  However, I feel this
would restrict opportunities for our students.

What do other job shops do?  Has anyone had similar experiences?  Also
has anyone any suggestions on how we can move forward with this?

If you could reply to my e-mail and indicate whether you would like me
to share responses.

Thanks in advance.

Katharine McKinnon
Edge Hill University
01695 584322

Based on an award-winning 160-acre Campus near Liverpool, Edge Hill
University has over 125 years of history as an innovative, successful
and distinctive higher education provider.

• Shortlisted for Times Higher Education University of the Year 2007 and
2010
• Top in the North West for overall student satisfaction (Sunday Times
University Guide 2011)
• Second in England for graduate employment (HESA 2009, full
universities, full and part-time, first and foundation degrees)
• Top 20 position, and the highest ranked university in 'The Sunday
Times Best Places to Work in the Public Sector 2010'

This message is private and confidential. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender and remove it from your
system. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of Edge Hill or associated
companies.  Edge Hill University may monitor email traffic data and also
the content of email for the purposes of security and business
communications during staff absence.