A PhD position (three years) is available starting September 2011 in
the *Theoretical
Chemistry and Biochemistry group *at the *University of Nancy, France*. The
successful candidate will work on the development of novel approaches in
quantum chemistry and molecular dynamics to describe the vibrational
properties of biological systems in interaction with the environment.

The position is funded by the French Ministry and it might include teaching.
The position provides access to the French Social Security and Health
System.

The successful candidate will have a Master in Theoretical Chemistry or
Physics, and a robust computational background. Applicants must show ability
to efficiently work in a team and good communication skills.

*Research Project*

We are presently working on the development of a molecular dynamics approach
based on an electronic Hamiltonian at the quantum semi-empirical level. This
method can be coupled with linear-scaling algorithms to improve the
performance of the calculation. Our approach has been successfully tested on
simulations of liquid water and on a model peptide in aqueous solution.
Further extensions of the method need to be designed and implemented in
order to treat the lateral chains of peptides, and to finally model larger
systems, such as proteins. Our goal is to apply this methodology to the
study of IR spectra and to vibrational energy relaxation for biological
systems. Charge (proton) transfer, as well as the mutual solute-solvent
polarization, have to be taken into account to correctly model these
phenomena. Different strategies (classical molecular dynamics,
Car-Parrinello, QM/MM)will be compared to our original method. Part of the
project will be carried out in collaboration with the Chemistry Department
at Murcia University (Spain) and with an experimental group (LCPME, Nancy).

*Living in Nancy*

Nancy is a pleasant city in Lorraine, central France, within a hour and a
half by train from Paris, Strasbourg, Germany and Luxembourg. The city
center hosts a few UNESCO's World Heritage sites, and it is world-wide known
for buildings and masterpieces in the Art Nouveau style. Easy access to
hiking, biking, skiing, climbing and other outdoor sports is a great
advantage of leaving in Nancy, a city surrounded by woods and by the
countryside and only 80 Km away from the Vosges mountains (
http://www.tourism-lorraine.com).

*Contacts*

Dr. Francesca Ingrosso
Equipe de Chimie et Biochimie Théoriques
UMR 7565 SRSMC - CNRS
Nancy Université
Boulevard des Aiguillettes  BP 70239
54506 Vandoeuvre-lès-Nancy Cedex, France
Tél. +33 (0)3 83 68 43 73
Fax +33 (0)3 83 68 43 71
Email: [log in to unmask]
http://www.srsmc.uhp-nancy.fr/spip/spip.php?article274

To join or leave the molecular-dynamics-news email list, go to:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/molecular-dynamics-news.html