This new version supersedes all previous versions. Please download it from the MultiWell website:

                             http://aoss-research.engin.umich.edu/multiwell/

NEW IN VERSION 2011.1 (March 2011):

1.    MULTIWELL: error found and corrected. It was discovered that we did not implement the centrifugal corrections correctly. Although we used the approximate centrifugal correction described by Marcus [1966], the approximate k(E) was not properly averaged over the thermal rotational distribution. As a result, the following factor was omitted: C = (I+/I)exp(1-I+/I), where I+ and I are the moments of inertia of the adiabatic rotors in the transition state and in the reactant molecule, respectively. For tight transition states (I+ ≈ I), C is nearly equal to unity, but it can be much smaller than unity for loose transition states. Thus k(E) was larger than it should have been, which made collisions less competitive, when all other factors were held constant. This had several effects: (a) larger values of the energy transfer parameter alpha (average energy transferred in deactivating collisions) were required in order to fit experimental data; (b) at low pressures, collisions were less efficient than they should have been, affecting the rate constant at low pressures; (c) the relative rates in competitive multi-channel reactions may have been affected to some extent; (d) the decay of fractional population was faster than it should have been, leading in some cases to rates greater than k(infinity). The effect of this error ranges from negligible to significant, depending on the specific simulation. The last effect was only detectable when k(uni) was large enough for multiwell to be used effectively for thermal reaction rates (i.e. only for reactions with very loose transition states at relatively high temperatures).

The error was corrected and new capability was added: the number of adiabatic rotations can now be selected (previously it was always assumed that two rotations are adiabatic). For users, the only change is in the keyword calling for centrifugal corrections. Four keywords are now recognized: NOCENT (no centrifugal corrections), CENT1 (centrifugal correction assuming one adiabatic rotor), CENT2  (centrifugal correction assuming two adiabatic rotors; this should be the usual choice), CENTX (legacy centrifugal correction, which is incorrect and not recommended).

The User Manual will soon be updated to reflect these changes and to provide a more complete explanation of the centrifugal corrections. If in the meantime you need more detailed information, please send a message to [log in to unmask].

2.    THERMO and MOMINERT: enhanced capability: many more elements and isotopes are now recognized automatically by these programs. The User Manual will soon be updated to reflect these changes.

Prof. JOHN R. BARKER                  Tel: +1-734-763-6239
Department of Atmospheric, Oceanic, and Space Sciences
1520 Space Research Building

University of Michigan
2455 Hayward Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2143