From: mining-history [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of
Phil Newman
Sent: 03 March 2011 14:30
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Coal and Turbary 1535/6

Latin scholars can no doubt provide more precise information but I'm pretty certain the word  Turbary is derived from medieval latin 'Turba' meaning peat. The Right of Turbary is a fairly universal term used over the whole of Britain and Ireland meaning a right to cut peat or turf. In the 16th century, it is very likely that people with access to turf and the right to cut it, would be more likely to use it in domestic hearths than coal, even if coal sources were nearby. The right of turbary was often a customary right for many tenants and usually meant that they could cut what they needed for their own domestic use free of charge. My study of the topic is restricted to the 18 and 19th centuries but if money changed hands it was either for turf cut by someone without the necessary rights or possibly someone cutting it to sell commercially or perhaps to manufacture charcoal.

Phil Newman