From: mining-history [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ian Spensley
Sent: 03 March 2011 13:09
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Coal and Turbary 1535/6

Dear list

Does anyone have an opinion on the term 'Turbary', my thoughts are that it
only applies to turf or peat on the surface of the land, but could it also
have  include coal at a date of 1535/6?

The full reference is;-

Farm  of the Turbary: And of 5s for the farm of the turbary in the Lord's
moor there,  to be paid yearly at the terms there usual as in the preceding.
                           Sum 5s.
The point is that if it does not  refer to coal, then it gives a date when
coal mining on Preston Under Scar  moor was not in operation. Turbary is not
mentioned in accounts  for other villages in the same document.
Thanks
Ian  Spensley