Shameless self-promotion can be welcome.  Have had a look on Google and promptly ordered for our Library.  A very handy handbook!

Laura
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: James Ginther
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: 17 March 2011 00:29
  Subject: Re: [M-R] levels of biblical interpretation

  medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Prof Brown makes an important point here: while the fourfold sense was acknowledged throughout the Middle Ages, it was not employed uniformly.  The early medieval approach differed considerably from the scholastic approach.  I have worked more with the latter, and even then amongst the theologians of the schools there are significant differences.  The distich translated here is often credited as coming from the pen of Augustine of Dacia (ca. 1260), but Robert Grosseteste has his own formulation specifically for the exegesis of the Psalms (and informed by the Tyconian Rules).  The drawback of the Cassian example is that it is just an example and not representative of how the various senses were deployed in actual exegesis.  For example, while the tropological sense (sensus moralis) was certainly tied to what you do (quid agas), theologians like Hugh of St-Cher spoke of it as "in persona animae fidelis" and that often permitted him to discuss what we would call aspects of philosophical psychology.  Others, such as Grosseteste and Bonaventure, spoke of allegory not as just what you believe, but specifically about Christology and/or Ecclesiology.

  There is also the other issue of what exactly were the four senses. There general agreement but some significant outliers (Augustine muddied the waters by talking about an etiological sense--much to the chagrin of the scholastic synthesizers), and Hugh of St-Victor only spoke of three senses.

  So I would just suggest that the examples given may not completely present the state of play for exegesis in a given time.

  If you are interested in later medieval exegesis, Christopher Ocker's book on Biblical Poetics does a very nice job in delineating the complexity of that period. And at the risk of shameless self-promotion, I have a long entry on exegesis in my Westminster Handbook to Medieval Theology (partially viewable on Google Books).

  Jim