From: Genevra Kornbluth <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [M-R] Christ enthroned with inscription
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Friday, March 25, 2011, 3:26 AM

    On 3/24/2011 11:02 PM, Marjorie Greene wrote:

              There are dozens of images on line. However, with the
              exception of the Pantocrator at Hagia Sophia, I have no
              idea how medieval they are. Almost all have some sort of
              inscription but not specifically IXθυς - unless I'm
              completely misinterpreting/reading the Greek letters on
              the icon/mosaic.

    Inscriptions are not at all uncommon, but are normally either IC XC
    in Byzantine art, e.g. the sapphire cameo at Dumbarton Oaks

    http://www.kornbluthphoto.com/ByzantineSapphireCameo.html

    or the Alpha and Omega in Western art, e.g. on the Suger Chalice

http://www.nga.gov/fcgi-bin/timage_f?object=1437&image=2816&c=medieval

    The problem is IXθυς in particular, which is common with
    deliberately ambiguous Early Christian imagery without the
    Pantokrator/Christ Enthroned, but not (I think) with that explicit
    image. I am hoping that someone on the list either knows of this
    specific inscription with the later image, or perhaps knows of
    textual evidence linking the two.

    Can anyone help? Thanks!

    Genevra

to: [log in to unmask]