medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture On 3/15/2011 12:19 AM, Terri Morgan wrote:

Today, March 15, is the feast day of:

Longinus (1st century) Longinus is the name traditionally given to the soldier who pierced Jesus' side in the last scene of the crucifixion narrative.

There are of course zillions of images of Longinus at the Crucifixion. To see those in my archive, and try out the site's new indexing, see the Crucifixion page:
http://www.kornbluthphoto.com/Crucifixion.html
the ones with Longinus are the Harrach diptych, 2 Carolingian engraved crystals, a Carolingian ivory in the V&A, the Comb of Heribert, a totally different 11th/12th c. Irish bronze plaque, and a Byzantine steatite recut and given Latin inscriptions (including 'Centurion') in the 12th/13th c..
Best,
Genevra