Imagine doing this in France and then come the August holidays trying to access all those switched off home computers...

-----Original Message-----
From: Museums Computer Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Frankie Roberto
Sent: 22 March 2011 14:41
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Digital masters for the archive

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Malcolm Chapman <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> You may want to look for adive in Neil Beagrie and Maggie Jones' Digital
> Preservation Handbook (now available digitally -
> http://www.dpconline.org/advice/preservationhandbook).

One idea I thought of, and this is perhaps actually slightly crazy but might
be kinda fun, would be to launch some kind of distributed 'storage-at-home'
service, whereby you'd persuade your audience to small a small bit of
software which then allows their computer to act as a storage hub for your
content. To make sure that all the content was safe, there would be numerous
copies of each image spread out among thousands of computers. As well as
being potentially cheap (or free!), it might also be a powerful engagement
tool - each of your users could potentially be stewarding a piece of a
valuable digital archive on behalf of the nation!

Hang on a minute though. Haven't I just re-invented bittorrent... ??  :-s

Frankie

--
Frankie Roberto
Experience Designer, Rattle

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg

This email was received from the INTERNET and scanned by the Government Secure Intranet anti-virus service supplied by Cable&Wireless Worldwide in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.) In case of problems, please call your organisation’s IT Helpdesk.

This email and its contents are the property of the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please delete it.
All DCMS e-mail is recorded and stored for a minimum of 6 months

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet virus scanning service supplied by Cable&Wireless Worldwide in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.) On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus free.

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg