It would be interesting to know if either SWETS or EBSCO are looking in at the string of comments on the whole claim process for print journals which people have been commenting on. Lessons could be learned!
A comment I would like to make is that although we always pay for January-December we are still receiving journals which have been cancelled as the distributors seem to think our year runs from April to March. Communication between publishers and agents really does need to be improved.
Although we have migrated most journals online now (and that is not without its own set of problems and issues when initially setting up), it is far less time cosuming than pursuing claims for non received print journals.
We end up cancelling journals which consistently fail to turn up despite repeated claims, as it is such a time waster
Also we are now working closely with one agent to retrieve missing back issues or get a credit note, but it never should have got that far as like other libraries we always put our claims in regularly.
If the American journals are going to be continued to be delivered in bundles at least put the library addressed ones at the top!  Could the agents not talk to the distributors and outline the problem of distribution by this method? Or at least if we know that they are being delivered that way we could then discuss this with the postroom.
Overall the whole process of retrieving missing journals is a costly (in staff time and replacement) business and we end up paying for a poor service. Roll on the competition

Mary Drury MCLIP
Librarian Resources

Basildon Healthcare Library
Education Centre
Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Nethermayne
Basildon
Essex
SS16 5NL

Telephone: 01268 524900 Ext 8062
Fax: 01268 593988
Library website: www.btuheks.nhs.uk

Get an NHS Athens account and access an extensive range of electronic resources….

Full text articles from E-Journals, E-Books, Healthcare Databases and much more

Go to www.btuheks.nhs.uk  to register NOW!