Conference on Geological Collectors and Collecting

4-5 April 2011 at the Flett Theatre at the Natural History Museum, London

Registration deadline fast approaches!

The registration process for the Conference on Geological Collectors and Collecting  will end on 28 March. The conference is organised by the History of Geology Group (HOGG) an affiliated group of the Geological Society of London, and will be held at the Flett Theatre at the Natural History Museum in London.

A full programme and timetable; a registration form which provides full details about the conference costs and how to register; and a poster about the conference can be downloaded from the HOGG website  www.geolsoc.org.uk/hogg and scroll down to 'Activities'.

The conference – which is timed to coincide with the Christie's London Sale of Travel, Science and Natural History Artefacts on 6 April 2011 – covers collecting of geological maps and books in addition to the collecting of  fossils, rocks and minerals. This two-day event includes workshops, posters and behind-the-scenes tours, talks from invited speakers and evening event at Christie's to view some of the 29 interesting items included in the Geology Section of the sale (see http://tinyurl.com/Sale-Catalogue ).

Professor Richard Fortey of the Natural History Museum London will open the conference with a talk highlighting Natural History Museum collectors and collecting, including his own personal experiences as a fossil collector . The tours will offer participants a rare opportunity to see behind-the-scenes in the palaeontology, rock and minerals departments at the Natural History Museum, and to view exhibits of rare books and maps in the Museum's library. The workshops will provide hands-on advice on organising and conserving geological collections of all types and sizes – including the sort of small private collections many of us have amassed in our own homes and garages.

This event will cater for a broad range of interests, and is open to all. To encourage a wide participation, we've kept the registration fees very low. Registration closes on 28 March. If you haven't registered yet, we hope you soon will!

For further information, contact Nina Morgan  [log in to unmask]. We hope to see you there!