From: An informal open list set up by UKSG - Connecting the Information Community [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jill Taylor-Roe
Sent: 07 March 2011 13:36
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [lis-e-resources] governing law re ASME site licence

Dear colleagues,
may I enquire what other subscribing UK Libraries have done re the ASME site licence, which is governed by the Laws of the State of New York. As is our custom with any non-UK licence, we requested either that the governing law be changed to that of the UK or that the publisher would agree to remain silent on the governing law. Most unusually,(in our experience) they have replied to say that the governing law must remain as the State of New York. As we have always been advised by our legal folk not to accept any licence which does not permit us to either be silent on the governing law or replace overseas Law with UK law, we are now at something of an impasse. Thus I wondered if any other UK libraries had come across this issue and if so how you had dealt with it.

Kind regards
Jill

Jill Taylor-Roe
Head of Liaison & Academic Services