> They could be a re-statement of (d2) (repository is useful to its owners).

Not really... the 'community' is not the 'owner' of the repository (at least in the case of an IR where there is a disjoint between the 'depositor' community and the 'reader' community). In the case of arXiv, I guess one could come closer to saying that the community and the owner are one and the same?

> How would I measure making a user community better?

In the absence of mandates, it is measurable by proxy... through the proportion of the community that chooses to make use of the repository (particularly w.r.t. deposit). (The converse is that one could have a 'good' repository that no-one choses to use - which feels a little unlikely to me). It's a bit like saying that Flickr and Picasa are 'good' (i.e. they 'make the community better') because lots of people choose to use them to store/share their images - the level of usage isn't necessarily what makes them good, but it is indicative that lots of people think they are good according to their own interpretation of how best to undertake the task of storing/sharing their images.

Note that mandates skew this measure because the community is being told to do something irrespective of whether it is 'good' or not.

Andy

--
Andy Powell
Research Programme Director