Hi

Forum members may be interested in having a look at the Coventry Historic Environment Project (CHEP) newsletter. CHEP finished in August, but it's taken me this long to get something up on the webpage! Just click on the webstring below and follow the link.

http://www.coventry.gov.uk/info/200112/archaeology/739/coventry_historic_environment_project_chep

The newsletter emphasises the community aspect of the project. However, the department's main interest in the project was to augment the HER in a location that we didn't known much about and was earmarked for development. The idea was that I went out with the volunteers to do some surveying for the first half of the week and then put information onto the Coventry HER for the second half of the week.

The project was part funded by a £50,000 Your Heritage Grant from the HLF. The local archaeological society applied for the grant with the help of Chris Patrick, the Planning Archaeologist at Cov City Council. The part time HER Officer post was funded by Coventry City Council. Survey equipment bought for the project belongs to the archaeological society.

The project enabled us to investigate an area of Coventry on which we previously had very little information, but we've also had a very positive response from the HLF. Who knows, they may be willing to fund something similar elsewhere. I'm still working at the Council on a different project, so feel free to contact me if you would like any further information.

Best,

Eloise

Eloise Markwick
Historic Landscape Characterisation Officer
Development Projects
City Services and Development
Coventry City Council
Civic Centre 4 (Floor 1)
Much Park Street
Coventry
CV1 2PY

Tel: 024 7683 1242

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you have received this e-mail in error, you are requested to contact the sender

All e-mails are monitored by Coventry City Council IT Security, using M@ilMeter and Star Filtering Services.

The views contained in this e-mail are those of the author and not necessarily those of Coventry City Council.
This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The  service is powered by MessageLabs.