Message
Dear All,

A point which comes to mind here is who makes sure that the Planning Departments are using up-to-date copies? I suspect that most still use the Greenbacks/Bluebacks rather than going online or consulting the HER, and in authorities where the Conservation (and Design) Officer isn't on the ball this could cause some problems.
What I have done is to use the XML data that EH sent out a while ago, along with data from the HER, to create our own Greenbacks which are stored on a shared network drive - therefore everyone has access and is working from the same copy. The Reference Library and Conservation Officer have paper copies, and we also have the original Greenbacks and Bluebacks, but the HER is now the dominant data source for LB data via the documents that I created. I also downloaded the LB GIS data from the EH website to double check that we had the same buildings down as listed.

I have attached the new "Greenback" for one of our old Boroughs to show what was done - we stress that the maps and photographs are only for illustration and are not a guarantee, particularly with regards to curtelage buildings which can be some distance from the primary structure.

For those of you who are wondering about authenticity, we have had one company ask for a copy of the official signed version because there is a fair amount of bad blood between them and us, so it is worth keeping the originals - although they did accept scanned versions.

Happy Friday,

Hugh

Hugh Winfield
Archaeologist

Development Management
Origin Two, Origin Way
Europarc, Grimsby
North East Lincolnshire
DN37 9TZ
Tel: (01472) 32 3586 Fax: (01472) 32 4216

Balfour Beatty working in partnership with North East Lincolnshire Council